- People on the South Featherston School board of trustees
- The board’s role
- The roles of the board Vs the roles of the principal
- How to contact the board
- Board meetings
- Minutes from board meetings
- NAG6 Legislation Procedures
- Tana Klaricich (Principal)
- Peter Hull (Staff Trustee)
- Arya Franklyn
- Claire Bailey
- Alistair Reid
- David Greaves
The Boards of Trustees is accountable to parents and caregivers, their local communities, the Minister of Education and the Ministry of Education, other government agencies and the public, for their actions and performance. The Board is the employer of all the school’s staff and, according the Ministry of Education, is responsible for:
- setting the school’s strategic and policy direction in consultation with parents, staff and students
- ensuring that the school provides a safe environment and quality education for all its students
- overseeing the management of curriculum, staff, property, finance and administration
- constantly monitoring and reviewing progress against targets to inform future planning.
- The board must have a charter, which sets out long-term goals and annual targets determining the school’s priorities. The board must monitor and report annually to its community and the Ministry of Education on progress towards those goals and targets.
It can sometimes be a little difficult to tell what is the board’s responsible and what is the responsibility of the principal of the school. Very generally, the Board is responsible for governance of the school (setting and overseeing the broad direction of the school), while the principal is responsible for the everyday running of the school. This means, for example, that the principal is responsible for the day-to-day running of educational activities in the school, management of children’s behaviour, and line-management and development of the school staff. The Board is not directly involved in these activities, and instead monitors the school’s performance and oversees management of the school.
To contact the board, please get in touch with the board’s chair, who’s details can be requested from the office (Phone: 06 308 9433; email: firstname.lastname@example.org) It is important that all questions, queries and comments to the board go via one person (the chair) so that we can communicate with you in a consistent manner.
The board usually meets monthly during the school year, typically on a Tuesday evening, at 7.15pm. Notification of these meetings will be in school newsletters and on this website. Members of both the school community and the general public are welcome to attend board meetings. On rare occasions, the board may need to move ‘into committee’, which means that the public will be asked to leave the meeting in order for the board to discuss confidential matters.
If you attend a board meeting, you are welcome to listen to the discussion, but are not able to vote on matters arising or discuss issues with the board unless asked to do so. If you wish to raise an item for discussion at a board meeting, you are encouraged to do so by putting it in writing to be included in the agenda for the next meeting. Usually the agenda for a board meeting is set one week before each meeting. If you raise an agenda item late, it may be postponed for discussion until the following month’s meeting.
Minutes from all previous meetings of the board are held in the office at South Featherston School, and are open to the general public.